What Percentage Does Delta Dental Pay For Dentures

Dental benefits explained header

Dental coverage is designed to keep you and your smile healthy, with various benefits that make dental care more accessible and affordable. In this article, we will explore the ins and outs of dental benefits, helping you understand how they work and what to expect.

How Dental Benefits Make a Difference

Dental benefits are not just about financial assistance; they also simplify the process of visiting the dentist. By staying in-network, your dentist can file claims on your behalf, and Delta Dental will cover a portion of the bill. This hassle-free experience saves you time and effort.

Moreover, dental benefit carriers work closely with dentists to ensure that claims are handled correctly. They also provide resources and tools dedicated to helping you make the most out of your dental benefits. With access to dental expertise, you can feel confident that your oral health is in good hands.

Understanding Coverage and Costs

While dental benefits do not cover the full cost of dental care, they do make it more affordable. Most plans cover preventive services at 100 percent, but other services are usually covered at lower percentages. Nevertheless, using a network dentist can help you save money and reduce out-of-pocket expenses.

To fully grasp your dental benefits, it is essential to review common terms often found on statements and during dental visits. Let’s explore some of these terms:


Many benefit plans have deductibles, which require you to pay a portion of your dental bill before your benefits kick in. However, some plans waive deductibles for preventive and diagnostic services. Be sure to check your benefits before your dental visit to see if this applies to you.


Annual and lifetime maximums are the dollar amounts that your plan will pay towards the cost of dental care. An annual maximum applies within a specific period, usually a calendar year, while a lifetime maximum may apply to specific treatments like orthodontia. If your dental care costs exceed the maximum, you will be responsible for paying the remainder.

Balance Billing

Balance billing refers to the practice of billing a patient for the difference between the dentist’s charges and the agreed-upon charge established by Delta Dental. However, in-network dentists cannot balance bill patients, ensuring transparency in billing practices.

Benefit Levels

Dental treatments are often categorized into different levels. The percentage covered by your dental plan may vary depending on the benefit level. Common benefit levels include preventive services, basic services, major services, emergency services, and orthodontic services.

Copayments and Coinsurance

A copayment is a set dollar amount that you pay to your dentist for a service. Coinsurance, on the other hand, is a fixed percentage of the dental treatment cost that you share with your dental plan. After meeting your deductible, coinsurance comes into effect. For example, Delta Dental may cover 80 percent of a service, while you are responsible for the remaining 20 percent.

Waiting Period

Some dental plans have waiting periods for specific treatments. This means that you must wait for a certain period after your plan starts before you can use benefits for that particular treatment. Be sure to check your plan to understand any waiting periods that may apply.

Pre-treatment Estimate

A pre-treatment estimate is a helpful tool that your dentist can submit to Delta Dental for review. This estimate provides an overview of the expected benefits before treatment begins, helping you budget and make informed decisions about your dental procedures.

Coordination of Benefits

If you or your dependents are covered by multiple dental plans, coordination of benefits ensures that the cost of the dental procedure is covered without exceeding the actual bill. The coordination of benefits rules outlined in your policies will determine how coverage is coordinated.

Understanding these terms will empower you to make informed decisions about your dental care and make the most of your dental benefits.

Remember, maintaining good oral health is essential for your overall well-being. With the right dental benefits knowledge, you can keep your smile shining brightly! Make You Smile